Friday 8th October 2010

The Full Monty

Director: Peter Cattaneo
Year: 1997
Stars: Robert Carlyle, Mark Addy, William Snape, Steve Huison, Tom Wilkinson, Paul Barber, Hugo Speer

I've seen this before. I loved it then, and I still love it now. Dan had, however, never seen it, and that's just plain wrong. So being in the mood for something funny, we decided to give this a watch.

The film follows a group of Yorkshire men who lose their jobs when the steel mills in Sheffield close down - and decide to do something about their lack of money by putting on a strip show in the town.

A great mix of social realism and comedy, the film makes you laugh out loud whilst feeling great empathy for all its characters. And after watching lots of films, I'm pretty sure that's harder than a film like this makes it seem. It's lost none of its charm in the 10+ years since it was made, and I'd happily watch it again.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.