Thursday 26th August 2010

Dr Dolittle

Director: Betty Thomas
Year: 1998
Stars: Eddie Murphy

This was better than I suspected it would be. Bear in mind it's an Eddie Murphy film, with talking animals, so it's not GOOD. But it did have something resembling a plot, and Eddie Murphy himself wasn't as frustratingly annoying as he can sometimes be.

It's clearly a kid's film though. Nothing wrong in that, as what I wanted to watch at the time was something easy and simple - it certainly ticked those boxes. Eddie Murphy is Dr John Dolittle, a man who can talk to animals but has, over time, forgotten about his talent. The film follows him as he starts hearing animal's voices again - causing, of course, lots of hilarity.

This movie does exactly what it says on the tin. It doesn't do it badly, but there are no real surprises here. Apart from, perhaps, the fact that the film isn't truly awful.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.