Monday 23rd August 2010

Hollywoodland

Director: Allen Coulter
Year: 2006
Stars: Adrien Brody, Ben Affleck, Diane Lane, Bob Hoskins, Robin Tunney

I know, I go weeks without watching any movies at all then watch four in four days. Well, it's a quiet time of year on TV and I've got some catching up to do!

Tonight's movie was Hollywoodland, which tells the story of George Reeves' (the original TV's Superman) death. Or rather, takes liberties with it. Now I don't know much about George Reeves, but even I could guess a lot of this wasn't necessarily the truth!

The film isn't bad, exactly, it just doesn't really succeed at what it's trying to do (are you spotting a theme here? I certainly am). It wants to be an exciting, noir thriller with lots of twists - but it just doesn't have the material to succeed. Very little in this film is surprising; and to have a successful film noir you really have to have some sort of plot resolution - even if only the director knows what it is. I realise this is hard with a "true life" story, but then, well, don't try and make a film noir. Make it a biography, or something else you have the material for.

Watchable, but a little long and not the film it wants to be.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.