Sunday 1st August 2010

Good

Director: Vicente Amorim
Year: 2008
Stars: Viggo Mortensen, Jason Isaacs, Jodie Whittaker, Mark Strong,

We may have had friends visiting this weekend, but luckily they were the kind who enjoy watching movies, so we got the chance to sit down and watch a film on Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately, it wasn't an amazing film.

The premise is a really interesting one - a "normal" man living in Germany in the 1930s makes small compromises in order not to upset anybody in the Nazi party, and ends up turning into something he is fundamentally opposed to.

The problem is that parts of this film seem highly implausible - would a member of the SS, by the 40s, really not know what was happening to Jews? The main character especially just seemed quite, well, stupid. Part of the problem might be that the film is based on a stage play and it just hasn't been translated that well into a film. Perhaps in better hands this may have worked better, but for now it's still just an interesting premise, and little more.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.