Saturday 28th August 2010

Stand by Me

Director: Rob Reiner
Year: 1986
Stars: Will Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell, Richard Dreyfuss, Kiefer Sutherland, John Cusack

I've always loved this movie. The first time I watched it was when I was about 12, on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I remember that because it just feels like a Sunday afternoon movie!

Based on a Stephen King novella (The Body), the movie tells the story of Gordie Lachance and his three friends as they follow the railway tracks out of their town in order to find the body of a dead child. Not really a creepy as it sounds (we're not talking The Shining here), this is a great coming-of-age drama with some really memorable scenes. And, if you like 50s pop, a great sound track! The likes of Lollipop are always stuck in my head for days afterwards...

I decided to watch this when it came on at midnight. It was a good choice, and, although it was late, I happily stayed awake for the whole movie (rare, if you know me at all). It's been a while since I'd watched Stand by Me all the way through, but it's stood the test of time. Still as good as I remember it, I'd happily watch it many times over.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.