Sunday 11th July 2010

Over the Hedge

Director: Tim Johnson, Carey Kirkpatrick
Year: 2006
Stars: Bruce Willis, Garry Shandling, Steve Carrell, Wanda Sykes (voices)

Watching this movie is a little like being beaten over the head with a small stick. It's mildly annoying, but not really painful, and vaguely amusing, if you're in the mood, the first time it happens.

Over the Hedge is very clearly aimed at kids and doesn't really bother to make any concessions to adults who may be forced to watch it (or are stupid enough to record it thinking it looked like some light-hearted fun back at Christmas). The plot is easy enough to follow - some woodland animals (a skunk, a racoon and an unspecified reptile - Dan assures me it was a tortoise- among them) end up with only a small patch of land after a new housing estate is built in their woods during the winter hibernation period. Lots of having to deal with humans and scavenging adventures ensue.

Not the worst animated movie I've ever seen, but not one I'd recommend.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.