Tuesday 30th March 2010

I Love You, Phillip Morris

Director: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
Year: 2009
Stars: Jim Carrey, Ewan McGregor

Not yet sick of going to the cinema (this was my fifth visit in under two weeks), I figured my birthday was the perfect excuse to go again! Having seen quite a lot of dark horror/ thriller movies, I wanted something a little lighter, and a Carrey movie seemed the way to go. Of course, Ewan McGregor being in it helped a little too. :)

Jim Carrey plays Steven Russell, a gay man who ends up in prison for insurance fraud after trying to find ways to pay for his expensive gay lifestyle. Whilst there, he meets Phillip Morris (McGregor) and falls in love.

The thing that makes this film enjoyable is Ewan McGregor. Without him, it would be hard to like or identify with any of the characters. That's not to say that Carrey doesn't do a good job of playing Russell - he's just a very hard character to like. McGregor, as ever, does an excellent job of playing Phillip Morris and gives you somebody to care about. An intriguing story, but perhaps one that suffers a little due to the characters in it. How much of this is the fault of the film makers is hard to say, however, as the film is based on true people.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.