Friday 26th March 2010

Cabaret

Director: Bob Fosse
Year: 1972
Stars: Liza Minnelli, Michael York, Helmut Griem, Joel Grey

I've wanted to see this for a long time. I first heard of it when studying for my undergraduate degree, and one of our tutors showed us a clip of it to make a point about how great war could look from far away, but how ugly it is up-close. I've always remembered that, but it took some time before I got a chance to see the film. When I finally noticed it was on TV one day, I recorded it. Unfortunately, it took a few more months to actually sit down and watch the thing.

But I'm so glad I did! Cabaret tells the story of two people who fall in love in 1930s Berlin, and whilst this is, in some sense, the main plot it's set against the backdrop of pre-World War II Berlin, when Hitler comes to power.

Not a scene in the film hasn't been thought about and analysed by the director before being made. It makes you think, and think hard, but it's done in a brilliant, intellectual way - all with a story to keep you hooked on what's happening. I can't recommend this film highly enough - and I've certainly never seen anything like it before.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.