Monday 22nd March 2010

Hang 'em High

Director: Ted Post
Year: 1968
Stars: Clint Eastwood

Not being able to decide quite what I wanted to watch, I ended up choosing a Western I had recorded a week or two ago. I tend to love Westerns when I watch them, but don't watch that many of them. So this was my attempt to start rectifying that - I've noticed that the Magnificent Seven (which I'm sorry to say I've never seen) is on next week too, so I'll try and watch that as well!

This Western tells the tale of Jed Cooper (Eastwood), a man who is nearly hanged by a group of cowboys who mistakenly think he stole a man's cattle and killed the owner. However, Cooper escapes the hanging and is out to seek revenge.

This is a later Eastwood Western, so in terms of his character you pretty much know what you're getting. And right up until five minutes before the end, I was enjoying being absorbed into a decent story with all the elements of a "proper" Western. So it came as a bit of a surprise, and something of a shame, when the ending was so disappointing.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.