Friday 23rd April 2010

The Magnificent Seven

Director: John Sturges
Year: 1960
Stars: Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen

I was planning on watching High Noon, but when I sat down to watch it, it turned out not to be the classic Western, but some modern thing with Emilie de Ravin (Clare from Lost) in it. Feeling rather disappointed and not at all interested, I tried to find something a bit more, well, Western to watch. The only thing I found was The Magnificent Seven.

I have to confess to never having seen this before - or Seven Samurai, which it is based on. So it was a whole new experience for me, and for the most part a good one. The basic plot is that seven cowboys go to a town near the Mexican border to try and save the farmers from a gang who have been terrorising them.

The film starts off really well and I was very glad I'd picked it to watch. The introduction to all the characters really draws you in and is a lot of fun. Likewise, the end is incredibly enjoyable. Unfortunately the film lags a little in the middle half and could really have done with being that bit shorter. If it had been, this would have been a truly great film rather than just a pretty good one.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.