Saturday 27th February 2010

An American Haunting

Director: Courtney Solomon
Year: 2005
Stars: Donald Sutherland, Sissy Spacek,James D'Arcy, Rachel Hurd-Wood

This was a bit of a random choice on a Saturday evening - it was just the top recording in our list, and, being as neither of us could decide what to watch, I picked this.

Even now, I'm not sure I can tell you what the plot is and get it right. It's 1818, and a young girl is being haunted by a spirit who hits and abuses her. If you know why, or who, by the end of the movie, you understood more than I did.

There are some explanations for what happens, but they only half explain half the story. There are also some vaguely creepy moments, but nothing overly special or different where horror movies are concerned. Not a film I'd recommend - unless you want to be thinking "er, what?" a lot.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.