February 2010 films

February has been a pretty quiet month for watching films for me, in comparison with the past couple of months. This may well have something to do with getting fully into the swing of working full time again - or perhaps there were just less good movies on TV? Although there still seem to be a fair few recordings to get through, so I'm guessing it has more to do with time constraints! A lot of the films this month have been cartoons or animations - 4 of the 9, in fact, so nearly half. Probably mostly because Channel 5 were showing a lot of them!
  • Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) - 2.5 stars
  • An Amercian Haunting (2005) - 2 stars
  • Youth in Revolt (2009) - 3.5 stars
  • Mulan (1998) - 4.5 stars
  • Flushed Away (2006) - 2.5 stars
  • An Education (2009) - 4 stars
  • The September Issue (2009) - 3.5 stars
  • Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World (1998) - 2 stars
  • Music and Lyrics (2007) - 4 stars
The quality of the movies this month has been pretty variable. Nothing has struck me as absolutely excellent (so there's an absence of 5 star movies) or totally dire (so there are no 1 star movies). Two films that stick in my memory though are An Education and Mulan. However, although Mulan scored more at the time, this is one of those times when An Education is going to beat it as my Film of the Month. In hindsight, An Education is just more memorable - although I have no doubt that if I watched Mulan again I would love it. I'm fully willing to accept that this decision may have more to do with the fact that I tend to prefer dramas over cartoons.

As for Film not to waste your time on, this has to go to another of the cartoons - Pocahontas II. Not only was the film dull, the history was just totally wrong. If you want to make up a story, don't base it on reality! A really sad way to destroy my positive memory of Pocahontas.

Film of the Month: An Education
Film not to waste your time on: Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.