Wednesday 13th January 2010

King Arthur

Director: Antoine Fuqua
Year: 2004
Stars: Clive Owen, Keira Knightley, Ioan Gruffudd, Ray Winstone, Stellan Skarsgard

It being my first week in a new, full time job, I figured it was time to have an evening of rest and sit down to watch a film and do little else.

Although titled "King Arthur", there are very few parts of the legend I know of that seem to have made it into this movie. Yes, Guinevere and Lancelot exist, but they're mostly excuses for King Arthur to have some good old sword fights and be in lots of battles.

In some ways, this was a great choice. It was incredibly relaxing to sit down and not have to think about a film AT ALL. The history was totally made up, the plot was boring (it mostly seemed to be an excuse for those badly planned battles) and there was no reason at all to pay very much attention to what was going on. Which all worked out quite well as I wanted to switch my brain off, and that was entirely possible for two hours. And yes, I came very close to sleeping - and knowing it would matter not at all.

So, as a good movie goes, this has nothing to offer. But if you're shattered and need a break from thinking, this is perfect.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.