Saturday 16th January 2010

Up in the Air

Director: Jason Reitman
Year: 2009
Stars: George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, Anna Kendrick

I had read some very positive reviews of this, so was expecting quite a lot from it. Thankfully, it was a very enjoyable film.

Clooney is Ryan Bingham, a man who spends his life taking a massive amount of flights so he can go and fire people from their jobs. He has no personal relationships to speak of, and likes things that way.

Despite all this, Clooney somehow manages to make Bingham likeable - you really do end up being on his side a lot of the time. And although the ending is not what you might expect (or want), it's properly refreshing to see something from a truly different angle. This may be Hollywood, but for a change it's not working from a cardboard cut-out script.

A refreshing, (mostly) feel-good movie, great for putting a smile on your face.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.