Sunday 3rd January 2010

Bridge to Terabithia

Director: Gabor Csupo
Year: 2007
Stars: Josh Hutcherson, AnnaSophia Robb, Bailee Madison

The first film of 2010, and the first of three films I've watched today... start as you mean to go on? Luckily, it was quite a good start. Although this is an American film, it feels much more like a British children's drama - and yes, that means it's quite good.

Jess and Leslie slowly become best friends when Leslie moves next door to Jess. Whilst the film is based in reality, the children's imaginations take them to a fantastical, magical world where they are able to deal with their problems. Basing this world within the children's imaginations, and letting us see their real lives, is a great way to get the audience involved in the character's lives. It allows us to care about the children and not view the fantasy world as an odd plot device that doesn't always work - which could so easily have been the case.

Whilst I wouldn't have been overcome with amazement if I'd watched this at the cinema, I still would have enjoyed it. It just feels more like it should be on BBC1 early in the evening. Which, considering the quality of some BBC dramas, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.