Thursday 3rd December 2009

Employee of the Month

Director: Greg Coolidge
Year: 2006
Stars: Dane Cook, Jessica Simpson, Dax Shepard

You'll have to forgive me if this sounds a bit jaded - I had literally just finished writing this post when Firefox decided to merrily crash for no reason on me. Blogger didn't save it and nor could restoring my Internet session. Not impressed.

Anyway, here we go again... I decided to watch this film when I was looking for an excuse to do nothing, and not have to think much either. The review I was reading about it certainly wasn't impressed and seemed to think this film would fit the bill.

The movie isn't unwatchable. It does at least have an idea I've not seen in a "Hollywood" movie before - it focuses on a guy who works in a Walmart-store, and only finds motivation to work hard when a pretty girl starts to work there who only appears to date employees of the month.

The movie does have some enjoyable parts, but it does have the standard Hollywood ending we've all seen before. It's also not helped by the fact that all the female characters seem to only be there to serve the interest of the boys. Jessica Simpson is only there as a love interest to give the boys something to do, and Zack's gran only seems to be there to prove he's not a complete idiot - something you may doubt at times during this movie.

Not unwatchable, but not a film I'd recommend.

Rating: 2 out of 5

There, now it's saved! Damn it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.