November 2009 films

Sorry that it's taken me a few days to get around to writing up my monthly review - it's what happens when the last day of a month falls on a Monday!

I can't say November has been very focused movie-wise; I've just been watching films as and when I fell like it, and picking ones I fancy watching at the time. Thankfully though, once again I've enjoyed a number of the movies I've seen (although not as good a month as October - there were a few more questionables in there this month). I've managed to get to the cinema a couple of times too though, which is always good.
  • A Christmas Carol (3D) (2009) (4 stars)
  • Letters from Iwo Jima (2006) (5 stars)
  • The Dukes of Hazzard (2005) (2 stars)
  • Fantastic Mr Fox (2009) (2.5 stars)
  • World Trade Center (2006) (4 stars)
  • Flags of our Fathers (2006) (4 stars)
  • His Girl Friday (1940) (3.5 stars)
  • The Aristocats (1970) (4 stars)
  • Venom (2005) (2 stars)
  • Interview with the Vampire (1994) (5 stars)
  • Dream Girls (2006) (2.5 stars)
Well, it's fairly clear where the dividing line is on these movies! Although 2 films both scored 5 stars, my vote for Film of the Month has to be Interview with the Vampire. Taking nothing away from Letters from Iwo Jimo, which is excellent in it's own right, I could happily watch Interview... over and over again - and I still remember it pretty well from 15 years ago, which is saying something for me! I'd also like to put in a special mention for A Christmas Carol (3D) however. I realise my love of all things Scrooge makes me a little biased, but the more I remember this movie the more I love it - the magic of 3D especially really bought the Christmas feel alive for me. It's just a shame I'm unlikely to get to see it on a cinema screen again any time soon!

As for film not to waste your time on, Venom and the Dukes of Hazzard are both worthy contenders (with Dream Girls really not that far behind). Although Venom is stereotypically obvious in every single way, the honour has to go to the Dukes of Hazzard. Granted, you won't feel this way if you love girls in bikinis and car chases, but on the whole, I don't (well, not if that's all there is, anyway).

Film of the Month: Interview with the Vampire
Film not to waste your time on: The Dukes of Hazzard

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.