Saturday 26th December 2009

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Director: Gore Verbinski
Year: 2007
Stars: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Geoffrey Rush

Funnily enough, I've seen this before. But it was Boxing Day and I was in the mood for some swashbuckling fun. The plot is somewhat too convoluted to explain in a paragraph, but basically Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) needs to be saved from death in order to gather together the nine Pirate Lords. From there, things get more complex...

Not as good as the original Pirates, but far better than the second offering. The more times I watch it the more I enjoy it - possibly because I understand it better! There are also lots of nice nods to the first movie which you might not pick up on if you haven't seen either movie a few times. Yes, there are plenty of silly moments, but many of these have grown on me over time. The fact that the first movie was so good is going to hinder any sequel, but in comparison to a lot of the films out there, this is still great fun.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.