Friday 25th December 2009

Grey Gardens

Director: Michael Sucsy
Year: 2009
Stars: Drew Barrymore, Jessica Lange

I'd never heard of this before, but it sounded interesting when reading the TV guide... unfortunately, the TV guide may have made it sound somewhat more interesting than it was...

The film follows the aunt and first cousin of Jackie Onassis, the First Lady at the time of their lives. Both women are named Edith Bouvier Beale, and slowly become more and more reclusive as the film progresses.

Although an interesting concept, there's simply not enough here to make an interesting two hour film. If the women hadn't been related to the First Lady, there would probably never have been a documentary about them (which this is based on) in the first place. Nothing really happens - and although this is probably the point, it takes too long to make it. Also - a bizarre choice for Christmas Day! That's Channel Four for you again folks...

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.