Saturday 12th September

The Break-up

Director: Peyton Reed
Year: 2006
Stars: Jennifer Aniston, Vince Vaughn

I had to make a choice between this and Take the Lead, an Antonio Banderas movie that was showing on the TV on the other side. Now, I love Antonio, but the film sounded so similar to so many other movies I've seen (teacher persuades a bunch of no-hopers that they're actually good at something, and indeed they are), I thought I'd give this a try instead.

The plot is relatively original, at least for big Hollywood romances. A girl and guy split up but refuse to move out of the place they've bought together, as they can't afford to and both like living there.

However, the application of the plot was not original. That's not to say it was bad - it just had most of the scenes you get in the majority of romantic comedies. Although you'll probably recognise at least some of the arguments if you've ever been in a long-term relationship - although hopefully not all of them, and I hope they didn't end that badly for you. Not a bad movie if you're in the mood, but no more than average.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.