Friday 11th September

Little Miss Sunshine

Director: Jonathan Dayton/ Valerie Faris
Year: 2006
Stars: Abigail Breslin, Greg Kinnear, Toni Collette, Paul Dano, Steve Carrell, Alan Arkin

I had wanted to see this movie for a while. It's been on TV a few times but I kept missing it, so when I knew it was on this Friday I made a date to actually watch it! And I'm quite glad I did. For a change the reviews were pretty spot on, and it's a sweet, enjoyable film - with some properly funny moments.

Olive Hoover (Breslin) is a young girl who has won the chance to be in a beauty contest in California. She's really excited about going, so her dysfunctional family decide the only way they can get there is for them all to go in the family's VW bus. Along the way the family get to know each other a bit better, and although still dysfunctional, start to look out for one another.

You'll probably recognise someone, or something, about the Hoover family in your own family (although hopefully not everything). That's part of the reason the movie is so enjoyable - for the most part the family feels real, even if the events around them are totally mental and usually somewhere from left field. Although I quite enjoyed that, having a love of black comedy...

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.