Thursday 23rd July

Lost Horizon

Director: Frank Capra
Year: 1937
Stars: Ronald Colman, John Howard, H.B Warner

I noticed this was on in the TV guide, and thought it would be a good way to try and continue in my bid to watch more classic films. The fact that is was a 5-star rated, Capra film, obviously helped.

In the film, a British diplomat, Robert Conway, goes to China to save 90 British people who are caught up in a local rebellion. On the way home, his plane crashes, causing him, his brother and three other travellers to end up in the city of Shangri-La. The city appears to be a form of utopia, but the viewer is left guessing whether or not this is really the case for much of the film - as are the characters.

A memorable film which is engaging and fun to watch. In contrast with Hidden, this film (eventually) gives you all the answers - perhaps even one or two too many. I would have preferred to make my own mind up about the very final scenes. However, this takes little away from what where a very enjoyable two hours that made you think without confusing you beyond all hope of finding the answers!

Rating; 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.