Thursday 12th June

Paperback Hero

Director: Antony J. Bowman
Year: 1999
Stars: Hugh Jackman, Claudia Karvan, Angie Milliken, Andrew S. Gillbert

This had been lying around at home for some time waiting to be watched, so I picked it randomly from a long list of films, not really minding what sort of film I watched, but wanting to watch something.

Turns out it wasn't too bad a choice. The plot follows Jack Willis, an Australian road truck driver who lives in the Outback. Whilst driving his truck, he writes a Mills and Boon-esque romance novel, but when he sends it off to a Sydney publisher, he puts his friends name, Ruby Vale to it - worried that his mates will laugh at him if they know he writes love stories. The majority of the film follows Jack and Ruby's relationship, and how they cope when they travel to Sydney to promote the book.

After the first half an hour, it's fairly obvious where this film is going. But it's handled well and is still enjoyable to watch. It was only the incredibly corny last 10 minutes that had me gagging and wishing it had ended just a little sooner.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.