Sunday 29th March

Proof

Director: John Madden
Year: 2005
Stars: Gwyneth Paltrow, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anthony Hopkins

It's hard to know where to start with this film. Even now, I'm still not sure how much I like it. I had an odd recollection of some scenes in the film whilst watching it, suggesting that maybe I had seen it before. Yet I couldn't remember the plot, the ending or any other details. Perhaps I was just remembering a remarkably good trailer for it?

The film is about Catherine, and what happens to her (and how she copes, or not) when her father dies. It's more of a character study than a film with a definite plot, making it hard to describe here.

Possibly not the most memorable of films, it's engaging enough when you're watching it and short enough so that you don't get frustrated by it. My lack of knowing what else to say about it, coupled with the fact that perhaps I've seen this before (or maybe not) suggests that, overall, it's probably a pretty average film.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.