March 2009 films

This month really hasn't been one for watching lots of films - or managing to post about them very quickly (as this post, which is 3 days late, might indicate). However, the ones I have watched have been fairly wide ranging, due to the fact that it's all been a bit random. Some are old films that I've loved for years, some are newer ones that I happened to catch on TV.
  • Proof (2005)
  • The Shining (1980)
  • The Departed (2006)
  • Young Guns II: Blaze of Glory (1990)
  • Rear Window (1954)
  • Death Note: The Last Name (2006)
The film of the month this time round is a much harder decision than normal. Death Note was excellent, and so different to anything I have seen before, but Young Guns II and The Shining are both films that I have always, and still, love. However, The Shining I watched this month was actually the uncut version and I only gave that 4 stars (which I stand by), so it's a battle between Young Guns and Death Note. I actually can't choose here - they are both so incredibly different, with totally different things to recommend them. So it's going to have to be a tie - bizarrely enough, between two sequels. Who said sequels were bad?

As for worst film, they've actually all been good - I haven't had time for bad movies this month! But going on score alone, Proof loses with just 3 points. It won't be in the running for worst film of the year though, there are plenty of other contenders that would easily win that title over and above Proof.

Film of the month: Young Guns II: Blaze of Glory/ Death Note: The Last Name (tie)
Film not to waste your time on: Proof (but pick this over Jan and Feb's "not to waste your time on" films)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.