Sunday 26th April

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Director: Ronald Neame
Year: 1969
Stars: Maggie Smith, Robert Stevens, Pamela Franklin, Gordon Jackson, Celia Johnson

I didn't know much about this film before sitting down to watch. I had heard of it, and having read the TV guide I was intrigued to watch what appeared to be quite a highly regarded film.

It wasn't quite what I was expecting - although I'm not 100% sure what that was really. The film is quite hard to like, primarily because the lead character is difficult to like. Now, I don't think you're meant to identify with her (the film is more about the power and influence people, especially teachers, have over us), but to dislike her on the scale I did makes it very hard to get drawn into this film.

The message behind the film is an interesting one, and well made. It certainly has an original way of looking at things - that's saying something considering this is a '60s film. But somehow I felt I got a lot less emotionally involved than I was meant to, or would have liked to. Perhaps it'll grow on me the more I think about it?

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.