Friday 24th April

Lord of War

Director: Andrew Niccol
Year: 2005
Stars: Nicholas Cage, Jared Leto, Bridget Moynahan, Ethan Hawke, Ian Holm

Back to watching films because I want to, and not because I can't face doing anything else! This one was surprisingly good - instead of it being what I had hoped it wouldn't be, it was what I had hoped it would be. Essentially an action movie, but with a message - albeit one that is thrown in your face a little. But then, if you know anything about this before you sit down to watch it, you should be expecting that.

The film centres on Yuri Orlov, a Ukrainian who decides to make his living internationally selling guns to, well, whoever wants them to carry on being at war. The ending isn't necessarily what you might be expecting (not completely, anyway), but the message definitely will be. Come to this expecting a standard action movie, and you'll be nicely surprised. Come to it expecting a deep, insightful, well-handled message and you'll half get what you were hoping for.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.