Thursday 8th January

Starter for Ten

Director: Tom Vaughan
Year: 2006
Stars: James McAvoy, Catherine Tate, Dominic Cooper, Rebecca Hall, Alice Eve, James Corden,

Another film that was mostly berated by critics, the reviews didn't really stop me wanting to see this. However, they did result in me not seeing it at the cinema so I had to wait until it came on TV before I got the chance to watch it.

The film is officially about a university student who manages to achieve his dream of getting onto University Challenge. Nothing like as cheesy as it sounds (think British movie, not Hollywood schmaltz - and not really one of the "grim up North" British movies either), the film is really about Brian's life as he becomes a student at Bristol University.

A number of the student stereotypes are spot-on, and Brian's journey through his first year at university is honest and, at times, recognisably familiar (for those of us who have been to uni, that is). Added to this was the fact that the film was both set and filmed in Bristol, making spotting locations fun for someone who lived there as a student and lives there now!

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.