Sunday 21st December

Christmas with the Kranks

Director: Joe Roth
Year: 2004
Stars: Jamie Lee Curtis, Tim Allen.

This is exactly what you should expect from a Hollywood Christmas movie. Cheese, schmaltz, a "true meaning of Christmas message" and a whole lot of banality. The film is dull, the story obvious and the script just plain boring.

The film is all about the Krank family, who decide to cancel Christmas and go on a Caribbean cruise when their daughter leaves them to join the Peace Corp in Peru. Of course, the whole neighbourhood object to this and try to make them change their minds. If you can't guess the ending yet, you really don't watch many movies like this, do you?

Even two unexpected phone calls during the course of the film didn't a) mean I couldn't keep up with the plot or b) make it any more interesting to watch. Don't bother.

Rating: 1 out of 5 (and that's just because I like Christmas).

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.