Monday 22nd December

The Brothers Grimm

Director: Terry Gilliam
Year: 2005
Stars: Heath Ledger, Matt Damon, Lena Headey, Johnathan Pryce, Monica Belluci

Odd. That's the best word I have to describe this film. Not bad, not especially noteworthy, just odd. There is a plot there, and it does make sense - it's just strange. A lot of critics seemed to hate this film when it got released, or, at best, felt it was disapointing. I wouldn't say that - it's watchable, but, in fairness, not as good as it could have been. I guess perhaps I would have felt disapointed if I had been expecting more - reading all those bad reviews may well have been a pre-warning for me I guess.

The plot, such as it is, concerns The Brothers Grimm, who make a living by pretending to drive out ghosts and ghouls from places across Germany. But they get into more trouble than they can handle when they take on the ghosts of Marbaden. Most of the plot strands make sense, and it reaches a satisfying, acceptable conclusion. The constant nods to Brother Grimm stories is enjoyable too - almost everything is a reference to one of their fairy tales, be it Rapunzel, Snow White or Little Red Riding Hood. Unfortunately though, it just didn't hold my interest the way the best films do.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.