Saturday 29th November

Where the Truth Lies

Director: Atom Egoyan
Year: 2005
Stars: Kevin Bacon, Colin Firth, Alison Lohman

Not a film I knew, or could remember, anything about it, it's likely I chose to watch this due to the simple fact that it had Kevin Bacon in it - with Colin Firth an added bonus. I do that. I know I shouldn't, but, like everybody, I have my favourite actors, and they do influenece, to some extent, my decisions on what to watch. Kevin Bacon is one of those actors. And he doesn't dissapoint here, his (and others) performances being memorable.

The TV guide described this film as "an incomprehensible 70s thriller", but I didn't find this to be the case. Perhaps because I was wary enough to be paying attention, but the plot made perfect sense to me. It did jump from the 60s to the 70s a few times, which was confusing for the first 10 or 15 minutes, but everything soon clicked into place. There were also numerous sex scenes, but unlike a number of contemporary films, the majority of them (if not all of them) were actually relevant to the plot. Something of a surprise, that.

Overall, the film was a pleasant surprise - it helped that I was in the mood for a 70s-type thriller before I sat down to watch it, but the film didn't dissapoint. And I, for one, certainly comprehended it!

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.