The Grand Budapest Hotel

Friday 11th April 2014

Director: Wes Anderson
Year: 2014
Stars: Ralph Fiennes, Jude Law, Tony Revolori, Saoirse Ronan, F. Murray Abraham (and a host of other names you'll know)

Ah, a rare treat - a cinema visit! Whilst there were lots of animated movies and cartoons on (it was the Easter holidays), this was one of the few other movies that took my fancy. I knew the brand of humour was going to be slightly odd - this is a Wes Anderson movie after all.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is the kind of movie that you get, or you really don't. I found it mildly amusing, but judging by the response of the rest of the audience, only one couple thought it was laugh-out-loud funny (they were laughing at everything - some things I really didn't get why).

Starring Ralph Fiennes as M. Gustave and Tony Revolori (one of the few non-big movie stars in this - it's teeming with them) as Zero, the film tells the story of how Mr Moustafa (Murray Abraham) comes to end up owning the hotel. It's a totally madcap adventure with lots of twists and turns, and some very interesting characters. It may not be to everybody's tastes, but it certainly wove an intricate story. You might not enjoy this, but I doubt you'll be bored.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.