Bad Education

Monday 3rd February 2014

Director: Pedro Almodovar
Year: 2004
Stars: Gael Garcia Bernal, Fele Martinez, Daniel Gimenez Cacho, Lluis Homar

This has been hanging around for ages waiting to be watched. I feel bad about it, but it's mostly because it's in Spanish. I have no problem at all with foreign language movies, and often think they're better than their English counterparts. But I just haven't felt like I've had the energy to pay attention to watching a foreign language movie for some time...

... And what a fool I've been. This is one of the most enjoyable movies I've watched for a while. I knew it got good reviews when it was released, and had wanted to see it for a while. It tells the story of Ignacio, a gay man who visits an old lover, Enrique Goded, to see if he'll film his script. At least, that's how the story begins. From this point on there are twists and turns right up to the end of the movie...

Bad Education is a mystery, but it's so mysterious you don't always know what the mystery is until it's revealed. It's a rare movie that can keep a mystery from you and not make you guess what might happen next, but still manage to surprise you when it does.

A really enjoyable watch, Bad Education comes highly recommended.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.