Ever After: A Cinderella Story

Sunday 13th October 2013

Director: Andy Tennant
Year: 1998
Stars: Drew Barrymore, Dougray Scott, Anjelica Huston, Patrick Godfrey, Megan Dodds, Melanie Lynskey

I chose to start watching this because I wanted something easy to put on TV before I began to watch Downton Abbey. It being such an old movie, I assumed I had seen it before. An hour and a half later, I was still watching Ever After, and Downton Abbey was waiting for another evening. Either I have seen this before, but it was so many years ago I don't remember, or I really just missed this movie first time around.

It's not really anything special - as stories go, it is actually just a relatively straight telling of Cinderella, although an attempt has been made to make a little more realistic (the carriage doesn't turn into a pumpkin, and the Fairy Godmother is actually Leonardo da Vinci). You can probably tell from the second half of that sentence that the movie is still pretty whimsical.

All this is fine if what you're expecting is a movie fairy tale. Which I was, and I was perfectly happy with it. Perhaps it's not a work of brilliance, but for me it was a fun and enjoyable (and unexpected) way to spend a relaxed Sunday evening.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.