April 2012 films

April has been a fairly quiet month movie-wise - but still busier than March! Not that that takes much. I've watched 7 films in total:
  • The Love Letter (2009) - 1 star
  • Sex and the City (2008) - 1 star
  • Ghost Town (2008) - 3 stars
  • Frost/ Nixon (2008) - 3 stars
  • Things We Lost in the Fire (2007) - 3 stars
  • Beowulf (2007) - 3.5 stars
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - 2.5 stars
Of the films I have watched, the majority of them have been fairly mediocre. A couple of them have been actively bad. Unfortunately, there are no stand-out movies here at all.

Film of the Month is fairly easy - not because there's an especially good movie on the list, but because one is simply better than all the others. Beowulf was a lot better than I was expecting, and whilst it's never going to be a movie that makes my 2012 Top Ten Films of the Year, it was an enjoyable, fun watch.

Film not to waste your time on is actually much harder. There are two real stinkers here - Sex and the City and The Love Letter. Whilst both of these could easily make my 2012 Top Ten Worst Films of the Year, The Love Letter just wins this (or loses, if you prefer). Whilst Sex and the City is truly, truly awful, and worse, morally ambiguous, The Love Letter is also awful, but in addition it is dull and entirely forgettable. Sex and the City might have a lot of problems, but at least it's unforgettable. Although not in a good way.

Looking back at my March Film not to waste your time on (Pirates! In an adventure with Scientists!) I feel quite sad. I wish I had watched Sex and the City in March and The Love Letter in April so I could have two properly bad films not to waste your time on. It's all so unfair on Pirates!

Once again, Film 365 has suffered this month. I've watched 155 of 365 movies (42%), but am now 51 days behind my deadline.

Film of the Month: Beowulf
Film not to waste your time on: The Love Letter

No of films watched: 155/365
Target no. of Film 365 films to have watched: 365+51

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.