The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1: Film #93 of Film 365

Thursday 24th November 2011

Director: Bill Condon
Year: 2011
Stars: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Billy Burke, Anna Kendrick, Ashley Greene, Jasper Rathbone, Peter Facinelli, Kellan Lutz, Nikki Reed, Elizabeth Reaser, Sarah Clarke

It was unlikely that I wasn't going to enjoy this. After all, I knew basically what I was going to get. What I didn't expect was an almost empty cinema. We had decided not to go on a Wednesday evening, fearing it would be very, very busy (it was the first Wednesday Breaking Dawn had been released, and because of the Orange 2-4-1 deal Wednesdays are always busy). So we went on a Thursday evening at 8.30pm, and there were only four of us in the cinema.

The film actually started off a little slowly. There were a lot of long lingering shots of the wedding, and the dress, and the guests... it was clearly aimed at 15 year old girls, but after a while it got really rather dull. Thankfully, the film picked up. I quite enjoyed the honeymoon, but what happens afterwards was the most engaging part. Even Dan admitted that that the last half an hour was really quite enjoyable, and a lot more engaging than the first half.

Whilst I do think Breaking Dawn: Part 1 was a little overlong, I do also understand why they have split the book into two halves. The stories divide up in two very clear separate parts, and to fit them both into one movie would have made it overlong. I just wish this had been an hour and a half rather than two hours long. It will never beat Twilight (there's not a lot that will in my mind), but it was still an enjoyable movie.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.