Never Let Me Go: Film #72 of Film 365

Thursday 8th September

Director: Mark Romanek
Year: 2010
Stars: Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley, Andrew Garfield

This was the second of two movies I watched on the flight to Toronto. Well, I was on the flight for something like eight hours, so I think two movies is acceptable.

This was another movie I had some trepidation about watching. When I'd watched the trailer when the movie was first released I was really keen to go and see Never Let Me Go at the cinema, but somehow never got around to doing so. Since then, however, I've read the book... and it's not as good as I had hoped. The novel keeps hinting at something more, and something more just doesn't emerge.

Happily, the movie doesn't suffer from the same problems. The story is a lot more concise, and instead of hinting, it just tells you what is happening. The ending also sums up, I suspect, the "something more" the book was trying to hint at, making the point very clearly - and in a satisfying way. Don't get me wrong, Never Let Me Go isn't a happy movie - but it does have the rare honour of being a movie I enjoyed more than the book, even when I read the book first.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.