July 2011 films

OK, I really suck. I've been totally and utterly rubbish at finding time to watch movies this month. There has just always been something else more important to do - annoyingly, it's been mostly work-related. I'm hoping August will be quieter - but then, I'll probably spend it catching up with all the other things I haven't had time to do, so no promises on the movie watching side of things I guess! I've only watched 7 movies (22%) out of a possible 31 - they are:
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (3D) (2011) - 5 stars
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001) - 4 stars
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) - 3 stars
  • No Reservations (2007) - 3 stars
  • Marley and Me (2008) - 3.5 stars
  • Beetlejuice (1989) - 4 stars
  • Transformers (2007) - 2 stars
For the first time ever, a Harry Potter movie wins Film of the Month. But it was very good! Whether or not it stands the test of time like Beetlejuice remains to be seen, but for now I'm happy to say it deserves its place at the top of this month's list.

Film not to waste your time on is pretty easy too. Transformers, whilst getting off to a good start, just got silly and riddled with ridiculously annoying plot holes. If you're capable of turning your brain off completely and enjoying explosions, you'll probably enjoy this. Otherwise avoid this at all costs or you'll regret throwing that brick you feel compelled to hurl towards the TV screen.

None of the other movies I watched this month were especially good or bad - mostly just quite pleasant and enjoyable. Transformers is the only one I remember with true hate.

So, how is my overall number of films looking for Film 365? Not good. I've watched 56 movies out of 365. I should be on 141. Meaning my success rate is getting really low, down to 15%. Oh dear. I have some work to do...

Film of the month: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II
Film not to waste your time on: Transformers

No. of Film 365 films watched: 56/365
Target no. of Film 365 films to have watched: 141/365

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.