Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Film #59 of Film 365

Tuesday 9th August 2011

Director: Alfonso Cuaron
Year: 2004
Stars: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, David Thewlis, Gary Oldman, Timothy Spall, Tom Felton, Julie Walters, Bonnie Wright, Mark Williams, Robbie Coltrane

So, it's taken me a week to watch another movie - and I'm sticking with the Harry Potter theme. At the time, all the reviewers claimed this movie was darker than the ones that had come before. They're not wrong, but then the books start getting darker at this point too, so it hardly comes as a surprise.

I have to say, this particular movie (and story) has grown on me over time. I probably enjoyed this movie a lot more now than the first time I saw it. It's the first of the Harry Potter stories with Sirius Black in it (and after watching Gary Oldman's performance again, yes, it is very good indeed), and the story is very self-consistent with a satisfying ending. The movie is also visually stunning. Cuaron puts in some lovely touches; at times things as simple as a snowdrop look incredibly beautiful.

Perhaps not up there with the final Harry Potter, I did enjoy this massively on a repeated viewing, and for that it gets a pretty high rating.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.