Saw III: Film #28 of Film 365

Thursday 21st April 2011

Director: Darren Lynn Bousman
Year: 2006
Stars: Tobin Bell, Shawnee Smith, Angus Macfadyen, Bahar Soomekh

If you know anything about the Saw movies (I expect you do), you'll know a bit about this. Yes, it's gory - what were you expecting? However, much of it is perhaps not as grim as you might imagine...

...although the first 30 minutes are. It feels a bit like the filmmakers wanted to get the really gory bits out of the way before telling the proper story. Now, they are relevant to the plot - but only in a minor way. The real story has a lot less gore (and to be honest, what it does have is almost funny rather than grim - at times they just go too far).

I actually really like the first two Saw films. They have surprisingly good plots with decent twists I didn't see coming (unlike in most horror movies when they are horrendously obvious). This isn't on a par with those movies, but it also isn't a bad movie. As horrors go, it's a perfectly acceptable addition to the genre. As long as you don't mind a bit of blood and guts, that is (but it's probably not as bad as you're imagining).

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.