Mean Girls: FIlm #23 of Film 365

Tuesday 12th April 2011

Director: Mark Waters
Year: 2004
Stars: Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Lacey Chabert, Amanda Seyfried, Lizzy Caplan, Daniel Franzese

I had a suspicion I'd seen this before. I'd wanted to watch it since it got released and had very good reviews. But I knew that if I had seen it I'd seen it on TV.

It took a while after the film had begun for me to realise that yes, in fact I had seen this before. Which seems odd, because it's a very good film and made me laugh lots (now and when I saw it before). Thankfully this meant I had no objection to watching it twice.

Mean Girls is all about Cady Heron (Lohan), a girl who has grown up in Africa and never been to high school. When her parents move to the USA she goes to a local school, and ends up hanging out with the "plastics" - the Mean Girls of the title, who are the school's pretty, popular girls.

The film does a great job of satirising all the other high school films like this out there, making it both funny and smart. It's enjoyable from start to finish, and, despite the evidence, really quite memorable.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.