April 2011 films

April started off pretty well, with me managing to watch movies most days. I've slacked off recently though, having only watched 2 movies in the past 8 days. You'd think what with 7 of those days being Bank Holidays/ days off work, I'd have had more time for movies! Apparently I'm busier when I'm not at work than when I am though... anyway, here's a full list:
  • Source Code (2011) - 4 stars
  • William and Kate (2011) - 2 stars
  • Made of Honor (2008) - 2.5 stars
  • The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004) - 2.5 stars
  • Saw III (2006) - 3 stars
  • Derailed (2005) - 3 stars
  • Down in the Valley (2005) - 4 stars
  • A Room for Romeo Brass (1999) - 3.5 stars
  • Limitless (2011) - 3 stars
  • Mean Girls (2004) - 4.5 stars
  • Final Destination 3 (2006) - 3.5 stars
  • Mamma Mia! (2008) - 3.5 stars
  • Wall Street (1987) - 4 stars
  • About Schmidt (2002) - 4 stars
  • Novocaine (2001) - 2 stars
  • Somers Town (2008) - 2 stars
  • Breaking and Entering (2006) - 3 stars
  • The Heartbreak Kid (2007) - 2.5 stars
  • Disturbia (2007) - 3.5 stars
That's a total of 19 movies out of a possible 30 - so still over 50%... in total, I should have watched 49 movies by now, and I've actually managed 32. So this experiment isn't a total failure yet, although it may well take more than a year to complete!

Overall though, it feels like the movies this month have been a lot more mediocre than those in March. There are a lot of 2, 2.5 and 3 star movies on the list this time around. In terms of a movie not to waste your time on, there are two contenders. Whilst Somers Town scored as low as William and Kate and Novocaine, it's actually a little more memorable and has grown on me slightly since I reviewed it. And, although William and Kate's not the best movie ever, you get exactly what it says on the tin. There's no pretence at good here. So Novocaine has to win the dubious honour of Film not to waste your time on - it could have been so good; it just wasn't.

Film of the Month is really quite easy. Scoring above all the other movies, Mean Girls stands out as the most enjoyable, sharp-witted, fun movie on the list - and one of the few I'd happily watch again. And again. And again.

Film of the Month: Mean Girls
Film not to waste your time on: Novocaine

No. of Film 365 films watched: 32/ 365
Target no. of Film 365 films to have watched: 49/ 365

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.