Rango: Film # 13 of Film 365

Wednesday 30th March 2011

Director: Gore Verbinski
Year: 2011
Stars: Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Ned Beatty, Bill Nighy (voices)

Wanting to go to the cinema on my birthday, and not being in the right mood for a thriller, this looked intriguing. The reviews made it sound, well, a little odd. Nothing wrong with that.

Rango is all about a lizard that ends up in a desert town hunting for water. Deciding to tell the town tall stories about who he is and where he comes from, Rango becomes the hero (and sheriff) of the town.

Although this is an animated movie, it's not really for kids. As a child I would have known I was missing something here and not really enjoyed it. As an adult, I think I loved it. It has a lot of references to other movies (Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and Apocalypse Now are some of the more obvious ones), and is, well, a bit mental. But it also has a decent plot and I wanted to know the ending. BUT I only think I loved it. It's still a bit weird.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.