The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Saturday 12th February 2011

Director: Andrew Dominik
Year: 2007
Stars: Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, Sam Rockwell

I'm still not entirely sure what I think of this. I think it's a movie you really have to be in the right mood for, and we most definitely weren't. It's incredibly atmospheric, and you have to sit down and enjoy the atmosphere. When you're at a friend's house with their 4-month-old baby, that's so hard to do. It's also a very long movie. This in itself wasn't really a problem, but it being atmospheric AND long was.

Having said all this, the ending of the movie still generated conversation amongst those of us who were watching it, so it must have had an interesting point to make. It tells the story of Jesse James, and how he finally met his death at the hands of Robert Ford (considering the title of the movie, I don't think that's giving very much away). It's not so much about the fact that James dies, but about the events leading up to it and the way in which it happens.

Very definitely a movie in the western genre, the atmosphere is almost a character itself here - hence the reason for finding it so hard to get immersed into. It gets 3 stars, but whether this has more to do with how good the film is or my mood at the time is hard to say. Granted, an opinion of a film always has to do with the mood you watch that film in... but a truly rubbish movie can bring you down when you're perfectly happy, and a brilliant movie can lift your spirits even if you're feeling horribly depressed. Here, there was no change in my mood. At all.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.