Sunday 9th January 2011

The Men Who Stare at Goats

Director: Grant Heslov
Year: 2009
Stars: Ewan McGregor, George Clooney, Jeff Bridges, Kevin Spacey

When my dad saw this in the TV guide his immediate reaction was "there's one for you Annie". When my response was "oh yeah, I was going to watch that" he looked at me funny and said "I was joking...". The movie does indeed have an odd title. It also has an odd plot and a weird way of looking at the world. I loved it.

If I tried to explain the plot I wouldn't do it justice. Suffice it to say that Bob Wilton (McGregor) gets caught up with Lyn Cassady (Clooney), who is on a secret mission as part of the New Earth Army. I'll leave the rest up to your imagination/ discovery.

The humour is very dry, and incredibly sarcastic at times - one of the main reasons I really enjoyed the movie. I'll admit it's not for everyone, and if you don't get it after the first 10 minutes, you're probably not going to. But if your sense of humour is as dark and dry as mine (some peoples are, it turns out) you'll love it as much as me.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.