Wednesday 13th October 2010

In Good Company

Director: Paul Weitz
Year: 2004
Stars: Topher Grace, Scarlet Johansson

This was a pleasant surprise. It had been sitting waiting to be watched for something like 2 years, both Dan and I thinking we had seen it before, and that it wasn't really that good first time around. Well, a) we hadn't seen it before and b) its really pretty good.

Topher Grace is Carter, a guy who gets hired to replace Dan (Quaid) as he is demoted. The story follows Dan's family, and how Carter affects them all.

In Good Company sets up a lot of cliches, and at first you really think you know what's coming - it seems so obvious. The beauty is that the film manages to subvert every cliche, in ever so subtle ways. The comedy, and the plot, are both subtle, but wonderfully unique. It'll keep you watching - and not quite expecting what's coming - until the end.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.