Friday 22nd October 2010

The Reaping

Director: Stephen Hopkins
Year: 2007
Stars: Hilary Swank, David Morrisey, Loren McConnell, Idris Elba, Stephen Rea

I had sort of wanted to see this when it was released - but nothing like enough to go and watch it at the cinema. So when I noticed it was on TV on a Friday night when I was doing little else, I figured it was worth a watch.

The Reaping is about a town called Haven, where a boy has died and a series of strange, biblical-type events have begun to occur. Katherine (Hilary Swank) is brought to the town to try and scientifically justify why all these events are happening.

There are no surprises here. This is a by-the-book horror movie with all the traditional elements you expect (old creaky house, dark cellars and creepy kids to name a few). It's not a bad movie - if you like horror movies you'll endure it happily enough - but there's nothing new or exciting here.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5. As average as they come.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.