Thursday 9th September 2010

2 Days in Paris

Director: Julie Delpy
Year: 2007
Stars: Julie Delpy, Adam Goldberg

I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for here. I wanted a quiet couple of hours to rest in, and knew I had a couple of romantic movies it had taken me a while to get around to watching. So I figured I'd try this one - half French, half American, it's about a couple who spend two days in Paris, where the girl is from (the boy is American).

I still don't really know what to make of this movie. It had some lovely moments, but everything just seemed well, a little odd. Perhaps a little too arthouse for me? There were a myriad of bizarre scenes talking about sex and love - often the case with movies like this, but here they were treated as odd. The American half of the couple was clearly having as hard a time dealing with these situations as I was with the scenes.

I liked the self-referential nature of all this, but it also felt bizarre to have a film that could be so involved with itself and yet look outside of itself at the same time. If that makes any sense? No? Now you know how I feel about the film.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.