Wednesday 4th August 2010

Inception

Director: Christopher Nolan
Year: 2010
Stars: Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, Cillian Murphy, Dileep Rao

Another film that opened to some very positive reviews, the combination of a director I admire, an actor who has grown on me massively in recent years (DiCaprio) and an intriguing sounding plot (most of it takes place in dreams) made me very keen to see it.

To explain the plot would a) confuse you and b) ruin the movie. The people who've seen this and say it's complex and you need to pay attention aren't kidding. Having said that, if you DO pay attention it's ultimately very rewarding. It makes sense, and although you'll be left with questions, they are ones that will satisfy you - and you can decide for yourself what the answers are. For now, it's probably best just to say that everything takes place in a world where you can enter other people's dreams, and this is used to great effect.

A film that doesn't disappoint, Chris Nolan doesn't seem to be able to make a bad movie at the moment, and DiCaprio is simply continuing to prove how impressively he's grown as an actor - I was never a great fan, but on the strength of his last three or four films, I may well now go and see a movie because he's in it.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.