Saturday 14th August 2010

In Bruges

Director: Martin McDonagh
Year: 2008
Stars: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes

This was not what I was expecting at all. We were at a friend's house and were looking for something relatively short to watch as it was 10.30 at night. Suggestions ranged from Back to the Future to Harry Potter (too long) to NOT Lost Boys, but In Bruges won out because a) it was short, b) Dan and I hadn't seen it and c) our friends, who had seen it, recommended it.

To say too much about the story would ruin it, as a lot of the enjoyment is in the fact that you assume the film is one thing (a thriller come gangster movie), when it's really something rather different to this (although if you like gangster movies I suspect you'd enjoy this too). Suffice it to say it's a fun film to watch with some great ideas and great acting.

Now, the first surprise was that I stayed awake for the whole film. This may have had something to do with the running time (86 mins), but I suspect it was more to do with the fact that it was a decent, nicely condensed story - none of this rambling on for an extra half an hour to make the film look stylish. How refreshing!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.